And a voice from heaven said, “This is my loved Son, who brings me great joy.” Matthew 3:17
As I write this, it is the fourteenth day of Lent 2013. Last night our family read Spirit Lighting – day seven of Ann Voskamp’s Lent devotional Trail to the Tree. Her seventeen day devotional bolsters our Lenten intentions. It may just be doable for us in forty days.
Did you know that Jesus was baptized? Why would He do that?
Read Matthew 3: 13-17: His example of humble obedience brought great joy to His Father. The Spirit of God descended on Him.
What do we learn from this? What do we teach our kids?
- Worship – humbly acknowledging God as Father
- Service – obedience to further His plan of righteousness
- Power – joy-filled gifts descending on those He loves
Have you talked about baptism with your children? Do they know why Christians do it? Do you?
Lent is about preparing our hearts to be humble before God because of His great love and mercy to us through the death of His Son. Fasting, giving up comfort, removing distractions and living simpler lives are all ways Christians use to humble themselves. When we change our hearts through humility or weakness – we receive a greater glimpse of the Spirit of God descending upon us and among us.
Lent is about preparing our hearts with new skills of prayer, conversation about Him, reading His words, memorizing His words, making music to Him, creating art about Him or serving others in His name. When we change our hearts through obedience to His ways – we provide others a greater glimpse of the Spirit of God descending upon us and among us.
- How can your family change one thing in order to worship together this week?
- How can your family change one thing in order to serve each other or someone else this week?
- How can your family change one thing in order share personal examples of power only His Spirit brings this week?
Our family is trying to change by removing distractions, reading Trail to the Tree devotions, and discussing Baptism this week. Our humble desire is to bring Him joy.