TALK with your children for 15 minutes a day. PRAY at least twice a week in meaningful time together as a family. Then we simply ask that you DO one family night a month.
- What day of this past year would you like to live all over again?
- What do you look forward to the most this year?
- What does a blessing mean to you?
Speaking a blessing over your children nurtures security, confidence, and hope for the future in their young hearts and minds. God instructed Moses to speak a blessing over the children of Israel. (Numbers 6:24-26) Here are some blessings you can use with your family.
- “(Name of child), may the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26
- “(Name of child), may the Lord keep you from all harm as you trust in Him. May he watch over your life, your coming and your going, both now and forevermore.” Psalm 121:7-8
If you are interested in reading more about blessing your family check out “The Blessing” by John Trent & Gary Smalley. Genesis 27 tells the story of a blessing received and a blessing missed. The effect of that blessing set the course of men and the nations that sprang from them. At that time blessings were a special onetime occasion. John Trent and Gary Smalley encourages parents today to build elements of a blessing into their family’s daily life.
Family Night: Blessing Jar. As a family be creative and design your family’s blessing jar. Whenever you recognize a “blessing” in your life throughout the year, just write it on a piece of paper, fold it up, and stick it in The Blessing Jar. You can do this daily or weekly. Everyone contributes, all ages! Those who can not write can still have their words documented. Write those laugh out loud moments, those simple daily blessings, accomplished goals, those memories that make your cry, laugh and smile. Let your friends and family that come to visit your home contribute. Its the little things that mean so very much.
On New Years Eve, read the blessings from the entire year and go through it together as a family. It will be a great reminder of God’s faithfulness…in times of joy AND in times of difficulty!
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17
Connect with us: Share your Family Night photos on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter @vistachurches @vistadublin @vistaworthingtn #talkpraydo #vistakids